Dr. Esther Tan - Open Universiteit
Dr. Esther Tan
Faculteit Psychologie en onderwijswetenschappen (Welten-instituut)
Expertise, onderzoek en publicaties
- Design and develop digital learning resources for primary and secondary schools
- Scripting and production of video clips for the national curriculum (integrated humanities), as well as corporate videos
- Design and develop inquiry-based mobile learning trails to promote critical thinking and knowledge building skills in In-situ learning scenarios
- Qualitative and video-based interaction analysis
2010 to 2012: Part of the research team for Interactive Digital Media (IDM) Future School project at one of the eight future schools of Singapore on “Mobile Learning Activities to Foster Critical Thinking Skills and In-situ Knowledge Building in Integrated Humanities”.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Tan, E. & So, H. J. (2015). Rethinking the impact of activity design on a mobile learning trail: The missing dimension of the physical affordances. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies. DOI: 10.1109/TLT.2014.2376951
- Cober, R., Tan, E., Slotta, J.D., So, H.J., & Könings, K.D (2015). Teachers as participatory designers: two case studies with technology-enhanced learning environments. Instructional Science (2015). DOI: 10.1007/s11251-014-9339-0
- So, H. J., Tan, E., & Tay, J. (2012). Collaborative mobile learning in situ from knowledge building perspectives. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher. 21:1, pp. 51-62.
- So, H. J., Tan, E., Y. Wei., & Zhang, X. J. (2015). What makes the design of mobile learning trails effective: A retrospective analysis (pp. 335-352). In L. S. Wong., M. Milard., & M. Specht. (Eds.), Seamless learning in the age of mobile connectivity. Springer.
- So, H. J. & Tan, E. (2014). Designing the situation for pervasive knowledge building: Future school experiences. In Tan, S. C., So, H. J. and J. Yeo, J. (Eds.), Knowledge creation in education, (pp. 123-142). Springer.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers in Published Proceedings
- Tan, E., & So, H. J. (2015). How learners employ semiotic resources for collaborative meaning-making in outdoor mobile learning. Lindwall, O., Häkkinen, P., Koschman, T. Tchounikine, P. & Ludvigsen, S. (Eds.) (2015). Exploring the Material Conditions of Learning: The Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Conference2015, Volume 1, (pp. 268-275). Gothenburg, Sweden: The International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Tan, E. & So, H. J. (2013). Students’ Capacity for Autonomous Learning in an Unstructured Learning Space on a Mobile Learning Trail. In Rummel, N., Kapur, M., Nathan, M., & Puntambekar, S. (Eds.) (2013). To See the World and a Grain of Sand: Learning across Levels of Space, Time, and Scale: CSCL 2013 Conference Proceedings Volume 2, (pp. 169-172). International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Tan, E., So, H. J., & Zhang, X. J. (2012). Teacher Agency and Student Autonomy in an Inquiry-based Mobile Learning Trail. In the proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE), Nov 26 to 30, 2012, Singapore.
- Tan, E. & So, H. J. (2011). Location-based collaborative learning at a Geography trail: Examining the relationship among task design, facilitation and discourse types. In H. Spada, G. Stahl, N. Miyake, & N. Law. (Eds.). In the proceedings of CSCL2011 conference: Connecting computer-supported collaborative learning to policy and practice, Volume 1, (pp.41-48). International Society of the Learning Sciences.
Ervaring en opleiding
- Dr. phil., Pedagogy, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, Germany, 2015.
- M.A., Intercultural Education, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany, 2009.
- B.A., Communication, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, 2001.
- Deutschlehrer-Diplom (German Teacher Diploma), Goethe Institute, Singapore & Munich, 1994.