Prof. dr. Marjolein Caniels
Faculteit Management, Science & Technology
Her current research addresses various aspects of organizational learning, sustainability and technological development & economic growth. Her research aims at enhancing our understanding of knowledge management with respect to individuals, firms, supply-chains and regions.
How can knowledgeable people be attracted to the firm and what role can be played in their personal development? Her research aims to shed light on the management of relations in the supply chain, with a focus on learning from forward and backward linkages. She is interested generating insight in factors that stimulate or hamper learning processes that take place in the interaction between governmental institutes and firms in regions or industrial clusters. A central aim is to understand the way in which governmental institutions can stimulate learning within firms and regions in order to enhance social, ecological and economic development.
Journal articles (refereed)
1. Zhu, Q., Krikke, H. and CaniŽls, M. C. J. (2015), ?Collaborate or not? A system dynamics study on disruption recovery?. Paper accepted on 15 October 2015 by Industrial Management & Data Systems (Manuscript ID: IMDS-05-2015-0209.R2).Impact factor 2014: 1.226.
2. Ooms, W., Werker, C., CaniŽls, M.C.J., and H.M. van den Bosch (2015), ?Research orientation and agglomeration: Can every region become a Silicon Valley??. Technovation. ISI. DOI:10.1016/j.technovation.2015.08.001. Impact factor: 2.526. 5-Year Impact Factor: 3.636.
3. Schenkel, M., Krikke, H.R., CaniŽls, M.C.J. and E. van der Laan (2015), ?Creating integral value for stakeholders in Closed Loop Supply Chains?. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management 21(3),155-166. ISI. DOI: 10.1016/j.pursup.2015.04.003. Impact factor: 2.333. 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.521.
4. Schenkel, M., Krikke, H.R., CaniŽls, M.C.J. and E. van der Laan (2015), ?Understanding Value Creation in Closed Loop Supply Chains- Past findings and future directions?, Journal of Manufacturing Systems. ISI. DOI:10.1016/j.jmsy.2015.04.009. Impact factor: 1.847. SNIP: 2.474.
5. CaniŽls, M.C.J., Chini, B. and W. Ooms (2015), ?Haal het meest uit creatief potentieel?, Gedrag en Organisatie ? Themanummer Creativiteit en Innovatie 2015(2). ISI. Impact factor: 0.940.
6. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and E.F. Rietzschel (2015), ?Organizing Creativity: Creativity and Innovation under Constraints?, Creativity and Innovation Management 24(2), 184-196. DOI: 10.1111/caim.12123. ISI. Impact Factor: 1.016.
7. CaniŽls, M.C.J., Lenaerts, H. and C.J. Gelderman (2015), ?Explaining the Internet usage of SMEs: The impact of market orientation, behavioural norms, motivation and technology acceptance?, Internet Research 25(3), 358-377. ISI. DOI:10.1108/IntR-12-2013-0266. Impact factor: 1.638. 5-yrimpact factor: 1.846.
8. Neghina, C., CaniŽls, M.C.J., Bloemer, M.M. and M.J.H. van Birgelen (2014), ?Value co-creation in service interaction: Dimensions and antecedents?, Marketing Theory (Oct 2014), 1-22. DOI: 10.1177/1470593114552580. ISI. Impact factor: 2.267.
9. CaniŽls, M.C.J., De Stobbeleir, K.E.M. and I. De Clippeleer (2014), ?The antecedents of creativity revisited: A process perspective?, Creativity and Innovation Management 23(2), 96-110. DOI: 10.1111/caim.12051. ISI. Impact Factor: 1.016.
10. Arora, S., Romijn, H.A., and M.C.J. CaniŽls (2013), ?Governed by history: Institutional analysis of a contested biofuel innovation system in Tanzania?, Industrial and Corporate Change 23(2), 573-607. DOI: 10.1093/icc/dtt017. ISI. Impact factor: 1.372; 5-Yr impact factor: 2.109.
11. CaniŽls, M.C.J., Gehrsitz, M., and J. Semeijn (2013), ?Participation of suppliers in greening supply chains: An empirical analysis of German automotive suppliers?, Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management 19(3), 134-143. DOI:10.1016/j.pursup.2013.02.005. ISI. Impact factor: 2.333. 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.521.
12. Pieterse, J.J.H., CaniŽls, M.C.J. and T. Homan (2012), ?Professional discourses and resistance to change?, Journal of Organizational Change Management 25(6), 798 - 818. DOI: 10.1108/09534811211280573. ISI. Impact factor: 0.744.
13. CaniŽls, M.C.J., Gelderman, C.J. and N.P. Vermeulen (2012), ?The interplay of governance mechanisms in complex procurement projects?, Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management 18(2), 113-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.pursup.2012.04.007. ISI. Impact factor: 2.333. 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.521.
14. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and R.J.J.M. Bakens (2012), ?The effects of Project Management Information Systems on decision making in a multi project environment?, International Journal of Project Management 30(2), 162-175. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2011.05.005. ISI. Impact factor: 2.436. 5-yrimpact factor: 2.758.
15. Van Vuuren, T., CaniŽls, M.C.J. and J. Semeijn (2011), ?Duurzame inzetbaarheid en een leven lang leren?, Gedrag en Organisatie 24(4), 356-373. ISI. Impact factor: 0.940.
16. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H. van den Bosch (2011), ?The role of Higher Education Institutions in building regional innovation systems?, Papers in Regional Science 90(2), 271-287. DOI: 10.1111/j.1435-5957.2010.00344.x. ISI. 2009 Impact Factor: 1.397.
17. Romijn, H.A. and M.C.J. CaniŽls (2011), ?Pathways of technological change in developing countries: Review and new agenda, Development Policy Review 29(3), 359-380. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-7679.2011.00537.x. ISI. 2009 Impact Factor: 0.921.
18. Romijn, H.A. and M.C.J. CaniŽls (2011), ?The Jatropha Biofuels Sector in Tanzania 2005-9: Evolution Towards Sustainability?, Research Policy 40, 618-636. DOI: 10.1016/j.respol.2011.01.005. ISI. 2013 Impact Factor: 3.117; 2013 5-Year Impact Factor: 4.257.
19. CaniŽls, M.C.J., Gelderman C.J. and J. Ulijn (2010), ?Buyer-supplier relationship development: An empirical quantification?, Journal of Enterprising Culture 18(2), 107-137. DOI: 10.1142/S0218495810000537.
20. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and C. J. Gelderman (2010), ?The safeguarding effect of governance mechanisms in interfirm exchange: The decisive role of mutual opportunism?, British Journal of Management 21(1), 239?254. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2009.00654.x. ISI. 2013 Impact Factor: 1.909; 2011 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.631
21. Kesidou, E., M.C.J. CaniŽls and H.A. Romijn (2009), ?Local Knowledge Spillovers and Development: An exploration of the Software Cluster in Uruguay?, Industry and Innovation 16(2),247-272. DOI: 10.1080/13662710902764444. ISI. Impact factor: 1.830.
22. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and A. Roeleveld (2009), ?Power and dependence perspectives on outsourcing decisions? European Management Journal 27, 402-417. ISI. Impact factor: 1.222. 5-Year Impact Factor:1.600.
23. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and E.M. van Raaij (2009), ?Do all suppliers dislike electronic reverse auctions?? Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management 15(1), 12-23. DOI:10.1016/j.pursup.2008.10.003. ISI. Impact factor: 2.333. 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.521.
24. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn (2008), ?Supply chain development: Insights from Strategic Niche Management?, The Learning Organization 15(4), 336-353. DOI:10.1108/09696470810879583.
25. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn (2008), ?Actor networks in Strategic Niche Management: Insights from Social Network Theory?, Futures 40(7), 613-629. DOI:10.1016/j.futures.2007.12.005. ISI. 2010 Impact Factor: 0.669; 2010 5-Year Impact Factor: 1.088.
26. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn (2008), ?Strategic Niche Management: Towards a Policy Tool for Sustainable Development?, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 20(2), 245-266. DOI:10.1080/09537320701711264. ISI. 2009 Impact Factor: 0.929.
27. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and C. J. Gelderman (2007), ?Power and interdependence in buyer supplier relationships: A purchasing portfolio approach?, Industrial Marketing Management 36(2), 219-229. DOI:10.1016/j.indmarman.2005.08.012. ISI. 2013 Impact Factor: 1.897; 2013 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.366.
28. CaniŽls, M.C.J., H.A. Romijn and M. de Ruijter de Wildt, (2006) 'Can Business Development Services practitioners learn from theories on innovation and services marketing?', Development in Practice 16(5), 425-440. DOI: 10.1080/09614520600792366.
29. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and C. J. Gelderman (2005), ?Purchasing strategies in the Kraljic matrix - a power and dependence perspective?, Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management 11(2-3), 141-155. DOI:10.1016/j.pursup.2005.10.004. ISI. Impact factor: 2.333. 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.521.
30. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn, (2005), ?What drives innovativeness in industrial clusters? Transcending the debate?, Cambridge Journal of Economics 29(4), 497-515. DOI:10.1093/cje/bei018. ISI. Impact factor: 0.914; 5-Year Impact Factor: 1.545
31. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn, (2005), ?What works, and why, in Business Services provision for SMEs: Insights from evolutionary innovation theory?, Managing Services Quality 15(6), 591 - 608. DOI:10.1108/09604520510634041. ISI. Impact factor: 0.984.
32. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn, (2003), ?Agglomeration advantages and capability building in industrial clusters: The missing link?, Journal of Development Studies 39(3), 125-150. ISI. 2009 Impact Factor: 0.899; 2009 5-Year Impact Factor: 1.245.
33. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn, (2003), ?Dynamic clusters in developing countries: Collective efficiency and beyond?, Oxford Development Studies 31(3), 275-292. DOI:10.1080/1360081032000111706.
34. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn, (2003), ?Firm-level knowledge accumulation and regional dynamics?, Industrial and Corporate Change 12(6), 1253-1278. ISI. Impact factor: 1.513; 5-Year impact factor: 2.446
35. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and H.A. Romijn, (2003), ?SME Clusters, Acquisition of Technological Capabilities and Development: Concepts, Practice and Policy Lessons?, Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade 3(3), 187-210.
36. CaniŽls, M.C.J. and B. Verspagen, (2001), ?Barriers to knowledge spillovers and regional convergence in an evolutionary model?, Journal of Evolutionary Economics 11(3), 307-329. ISI. 2009 Impact Factor: 0.947
37. Fagerberg, J., Verspagen, B. and M.C.J. CaniŽls, (1997), ?Technology, growth and unemployment across European regions?, Regional Studies 31(5), 457-466. ISI. 2009 Impact Factor: 1.756; 2009 5-Year Impact Factor: 2.017.