Course content Environment, Science & Society
In this course you will:
- watch a video on knowledge conflicts relating to Wadden Sea policy;
- watch a video recording of a lecture by Prof. Susan Owens on the changing role of science in policy and society;
- analyse a video recording of a debate between various environmental professionals on the authority of science and the role of science in environmental policy;
- read chapter 1 of the course book Environmental Problems: crossing boundaries between science policy and society.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- mention three challenges when dealing with complex environmental problems: dealing with uncertainty, dealing with plurality, integration of different types of knowledge;
- describe the distinction between structured and unstructured problems and explain why environmental problems often are unstructured problems.
> Task 1